This dessert is a real treat for any poor sods who are lactose intolerant, as it’s naturally dairy free (as long as you use proper dairy free dark chocolate). It’s also so easy I’ve been making it since I was a kid, way back in the eighties. Retro!
All you need is:
- 200g quality fair trade chocolate – you can use milk, dark or a combination
- 3 large free-range eggs
That’s it. No cream, no added sugar, no avocado, nothing! (You can add a drop of vanilla, orange essence or booze to the egg yolk and chocolate mixture if you wish.)
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a double boiler, making sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water underneath. Melt gently, stirring often.
2. Separate three eggs.
3. Beat the whites until firm peaks form.
4. Stir the melted chocolate into the egg yolks, one spoonful at a time. The mixture will thicken and become dark and glossy.
5. Gently fold the whites into the chocolate and egg yolk mixture until combined.
6. Pour into appropriately retro serving dishes and chill for 2-3 hours or until set.
You may also enjoy…